Africa Specialist, Sales
To apply, send a cover letter and a brief description of your favorite travel experience in the body of an email with your resume attached to: email@example.com
Are you passionate about a destination and want to share it with other people? Do you love to travel and thrive off of sharing your knowledge and expertise in planning interesting, unique trips for people that will create memories that last a lifetime? Do you want to work with a group of passionate, highly motivated women who live and breathe travel? We are searching for an experienced safari specialist with a deep knowledge of Africa to join our team. Candidates will be able to work remotely.
Extraordinary Journeys is a luxury adventure tour operator that specializes in creating custom, authentic, high-end safaris for the adventurous traveler in Africa and around the world. We know that people are looking for something unique, something special, and we pride ourselves on staying on the edge of the industry—constantly discovering places and how our clients see them. Beyond that, we know that no two people are the same and that their trips shouldn’t be either; matching the right people with the right properties has become our trademark. We value knowledge, creativity, enthusiasm, and customer service.
Full-time ongoing position Monday-Friday 9:30-5:30 EST with some after-hours, dependent upon events for the company
What a Safari Specialist is responsible for:
- Design custom itineraries in consultation with clients and our partner travel agents.
- Respond to online and phone inquiries in a sales-minded fashion.
- Develop and maintain a network of existing and new clientele through regular outreach to build and maintain relationships.
- Collaborate with our Operations Team to ensure smooth travel logistics before and during client travel.
- Communicate with clients after their trip to evaluate their experience and stay up to date on the quality of each property and the experience it offers.
- Manage all financial aspects of booking and approve payments to suppliers.
- Work with marketing and social media staff to brainstorm blog ideas and web posts.
- Stay on top of current destination and property news as well as new products and opportunities
- Maintain excellent working relationships with local DMC’s, property representation, and property and camp staff.
- Participate in sales team and company-wide projects and initiatives.
What skills and abilities we’re looking for:
- Must love people, and thrive off learning what motivates and excites them.
- Creativity and dedication to building the best possible trip for each client.
- Love looking at and planning logistics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills and ability to constantly work on multiple trips at various stages of completion.
- Strong worldwide geographic, destination, cultural, and world affairs knowledge.
- Intermediate computer skills required (Microsoft Office) and the ability to quickly master new technologies.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills—thinking through every trip.
- Ability to work and thrive in a team environment.
- A personally responsible, self-starter, who is highly motivated.
- Bachelor degree or higher preferred or equivalent experience.
- High School diploma required.
- Experience in custom travel (preferably within Africa) and/or travel sales experience required.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in international travel
Compensation: Compensation is based on experience
Why Extraordinary Journeys?
Simply put—our team is extraordinary. We’re an award-winning luxury adventure travel brand with a whole lot of heart. We’re a group of wholesome, grounded, level-headed women who are seriously passionate about travel, the environment, sustainability, and the great outdoors.
We’re all in this business because we share a love of adventure, wildlife, people, and joyful moments. Our team has over 100 years of combined experience in the travel industry. And, because of our collective experiences, we’re able to spread excitement and harness happy travel moments for everyone on our team and, ultimately, our clients.
So, what’s the dynamic?
There’s no other way to describe it than we’re like a family: everyone contributes, we all have each other’s backs, and we want every employee to feel heard. Our team loves making other people—and each other—happy. Our staff rotation is close to zero turnover, and we’re grateful for the permanence of our team. We’re looking for a long-term commitment.
Even though we’re remote (and always have been—we’re not new to this!) we’re closely connected through weekly team meetings, annual retreats, and regular meet-ups when we’re in the same state. Our team members are go-getters, self-motivated, and empowered—we trust each other to get that work done. We have team members in Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, Cape Town, Washington DC, and Vancouver.
About Extraordinary Journeys
Founded by mother-daughter duo Marcia and Elizabeth Gordon—with decades of experience living and working in Africa and around the world— it may come as no surprise that the ethos of Extraordinary Journeys is grounded in matriarchal values. Just like the dynamics that guide elephant herds around the globe. We believe in matriarchal systems because they cultivate a climate of being attentive, nurturing, egalitarian, intuitive, inclusive, receptive, and consensus orientated.
What are the perks?
We believe that everyone needs to travel—not just the CEO or the sales team—our ops team, marketing team, and the administrative team all have the opportunity to participate in at least one annual familiarization trip per year, all expenses paid to one of our destinations. Throughout the year, all employees also have access to special industry rates on hotels and lodges to use on their personal time off.