Botswana safari: private concessions in a classic destination
Explore one of the world’s last true wildernesses on foot, by boat, or on a game drive. Our Botswana safari lets you enjoy taking in the abundant animal and birdlife that has made the Okavango Delta a destination second to none.
Each camp featured on this itinerary is well-priced for the experience it offers. What’s more, all are on community-run or private concessions, which means you can go off-road and on night drives and walking safaris, something not usually permitted in national parks or game reserves.
Botswana safari: 9 days / 8 nights
- This 9-day Botswana safari fly-in starts in Maun. From here, take a light aircraft flight to the community-run Khwai Concession, set along the unfenced northern boundary of the Moremi Game Reserve in the Okavango Delta
- Enjoy your first game drive during the short journey to Khwai Bush Camp. Game drives feature Africa’s big attractions – lion, cheetah, leopard, wild dog, elephant, buffalo, hippo and giraffe – and you can also explore the river on a mokoro, or traditional dugout canoe, depending on the season
- Fly to Moremi. From here, a 15-minute drive takes you to Kanana Camp on the private Kanana Concession, which has picturesque winding waterways meandering through open lagoons. Choose from game drives in open 4x4 safari vehicles, game viewing on mokoro excursions, guided walks, fishing, motor boating, and sunset cruises
- Kanana is one of the few camps in the Okavango Delta to have an exclusive heronry, where migratory birds such as storks, ibis, egrets, herons, and pelicans rear their young in nests set among the low trees and swampy fig thickets
- End your safari in Shinde Camp, which is nestled on a lush palm island in the Nxabega Concession. Experience the incredible bird, plant, and reptile species found here by motorboat or glass-bottomed mokoro, or on game drives in comfortable, specially designed vehicles
$5,900-$11,100 per person sharing in 2023
Consider extending your time in Africa to include a couple of nights at the nearby Victoria Falls, some time in cosmopolitan Cape Town, or exploring the towering sand dunes of Sossusvlei in Namibia
Explore other itineraries
Going off the beaten path in the Okavango and Kalahari
Cape Town, Winelands & Safari in the Eastern Cape, Visit Cape Town, the winelands and enjoy...
Incredible wildlife and plenty of adventure