The Salkantay Trek takes you to Machu Picchu in style; cultural highlights await at Lake Titicaca on this Peru visit
Your Peru visit begins in Cusco, a beautiful and historic city with much to offer by way of markets, cathedrals, temples, and cobblestone plazas. Turn your sights toward the mountains where you’ll spend 7-days on the Salkantay Trek, a lodge to lodge hiking adventure through a historic section of Inca trail spanning 15 different eco-systems. While you traverse a mountain pass over 15,000 feet, explore villages where locals still maintain age-old traditions and re-discover the mystical beauty of Machu Picchu, the crown jewel of the Inca Empire. Before heading home, relax and unwind at a luxury boutique resort on Lake Titicaca.
Peru visit: 13 days / 12 nights
DAYS 1 & 2:
Arrive Cusco, Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa
DAYS 3 & 4:
Begin the Salkantay hiking trail, Salkantay Lodge
Continue hiking, Wayra Lodge
Continue hiking, Colpa Lodge
Continue hiking, Lucma Lodge
Continue hiking and arrive to Aguas Caliente, Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
Explore Machu Picchu, Casa Cartagena Boutique Hotel & Spa
DAYS 10, 11 & 12:
Onward to Lake Titicaca, Titilaka Hotel
Return to Juliaca Airport, depart
- While in Peru visit Cusco, the Santo Domingo Monastery, Korikancha (Temple of Gold), Plaza de Armas, and San Blas.
- Venture into the Sacred Valley of the Incas to explore the circular terraces of Moray, an agricultural “research laboratory” for the Incas, as well as the lively markets of Ollantaytambo. Your exploration of these ancient sites and traditional villages comes to life as your private guide recounts tales from days long past. Connect with the people and land as you take part in a special ceremony honoring Mother Earth.
- Embark on a 7-day lodge to lodge trekking adventure along the Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu. Along the way, see Inca ruins, mountain villages, turquoise lakes, expansive plateaus, fruit orchards, and stunning valleys. An expert local guide leads the trip to help guests acclimatize safely, and take in the history, culture, and scenery every step of the way. This trek, though long and sometimes challenging, offers the chance to sleep each evening at charming lodges. Jacuzzis, comfortable beds, and delicious Peruvian meals await at each stop, allowing hikers to recharge before the next morning's activity.
- For those seeking a little extra thrill - there is the option to zip line or mountain bike on day 7, in lieu of hiking.
- Reaching Machu Picchu, is that much more rewarding after the hard work you have put in. This ancient Inca city, seemingly suspended in the clouds, is nothing short of awe-inspiring. Discover the watchtower, the Temple of the Sun, the royal Inca residences, and more. If you haven’t had your hiking fix just yet, challenge yourself on Huayna Picchu, the mountain which towers over Machu Picchu.
- Lake Titilaca is the perfect location to unwind. Titilaka Hotel offers a multitude of activities including kayaking, cycling, trips to the nearby “floating islands” and villages, nature walks around the Lake and bay, star gazing, and exploration of archaeological remains of the Aymara civilization. For those wanting pure rest and relaxation, enjoy massage services, gourmet meals, and the serenity of this stunning lakeside property.
Contact us for pricing and to connect with your personal travel expert
Itinerary on a Map
Explore Other Itineraries
Journey to Peru: Inca Trail
Discover the Sacred Valley, Inca Trail, Machu Picchu, and Cusco
Remote and Rugged Patagonia Adventure
Ecuador & Peru: From Galápagos to Machu Picchu
Wilderness of the Galapagos and Cultural History of Machu Picchu
Primates and Lakes: Gorillas, Monkeys, and Adventure in Rwanda
Unforgettable primate encounters, culture and luxurious lodging
Perfect Morocco: Souks, Sahara & Sea
Explore Medinas, Markets, Dunes, an Oasis, and the beautiful seaside of Essaouria
Wine, Whales, and Safari
Whale-watching, Wine tasting and the Big 5