Snow leopard and mountain cultures in India's Himalayas
Journey through the Silk Road's remote mountain villages across the Himalayas where diverse photographic opportunities and the lore and splendor of ancient kingdoms await. The majesty of the Himalaya mountains has long been a draw for travelers, and in the world's highest and most severe environment, no creature holds more allure than the mysterious snow leopard. Alongside your legendary tracking guide and his network of local scouts, traverse the mountains of Ladakh by vehicle and foot in search of the snow leopard and countless mountain creatures. At the end of a day's exploration, relish the warmth of Ladakhi traditions and Tibetan Buddhist culture over shared meals in the depth of winter.
*Note this itinerary can be organized as a shared departure with others or on private basis.
Quest for Snow Leopard: 11 days/10 nights
Arrive New Delhi, Overnight Radisson Blu
DAYS 2 & 3:
Fly to Ladakh, Overnights Grand Dragon Hotel
Scenic road transfer through the villages of the Indus Valley to Ulley. Overnights Snow Leopard Lodge.
Drive back to Leh, Overnights Grand Dragon Hotel.
Fly to New Delhi, day room at Radisson Blu, depart
- After an overnight in New Delhi, fly to the scenic Himalayan town of Leh, bounded by two of the world’s biggest mountain ranges and home to numerous monasteries.
- Visit the palaces and monasteries of Leh and learn about the people of the region while acclimatizing. Take in the sunset at Leh Palace to capture views of the isolated Shanti Stupa from a distance.
- Follow the road along the Indus River through the small town of Nimmu and towards Likir – one of Ladakh’s most famous Buddhist monasteries – taking in breathtaking mountain views and villages at every turn.
- Spend six nights tracking snow leopard alongside legendary guide, Norbu, using his network of villagers and scouts for an incomparable mountain experience. In addition to snow leopard, you might also spot countless wildlife species including ibex, urial, Tibetan wolf, yak, and red fox among so many others.
- Enjoy the hospitality of a Ladakhi family in the depths of winter at Snow Leopard Lodge. Learn about their lifestyle and traditions while sharing the large and warm kitchens at the heart of the home.
$8,632 per person sharing on scheduled departure dates. Includes $200 contribution to Snow Leopard Conservation
$10,872 for each of two people for private departure date including $200 contribution to Snow Leopard Conservation and private bathroom supplement for Snow Leopard Lodge.
Internal airfare will be quoted separately; approximately $350.
Prices valid until April 2023
Other itineraries to explore
India: Tigers and Beyond
From golden sand dunes to central India's national parks, from ancient forts to legendary shining...
Stylish Central India
Safari through the best wildlife parks in India
Journey Through Nepal
Historic squares, sacred stupas, and Himalaya wilderness