Explore two of Zambia's iconic parks and diverse activities on this walking Zambia safari
The walking Zambia safari was pioneered in South Luangwa National Park, and this 35,000-square- mile expanse of wilderness remains one of the best places in Africa to take in the unforgettable sights, sounds, and smells of the bush on foot.
After walking between three small bush camps, finish your safari with some pampering at a luxurious lodge in the Lower Zambezi National Park. As well as exciting off-road and night game drives, you can embark on canoeing and boating excursions along the Zambezi River.
Walking Zambia safari: 12 days / 11 nights
Arrive Lusaka, fly to South Luangwa National Park, Mfuwe Lodge
DAYS 2 & 3:
Walk (or drive) to Chamilandu
DAYS 4 & 5:
Walk (or drive) to Chindeni
DAYS 6 & 7:
Walk (or drive) to Bilimungwe Bushcamp
Fly to Lusaka, depart
Highlights of our walking Zambia safari
- This 12-day fly-in walking Zambia safari starts in Lusaka, from where you’ll fly to South Luangwa National Park. Mfuwe Lodge overlooks a lagoon that attracts abundant wildlife including leopard and lion, and the river is home to hippos, crocodiles, and wading waterfowl. Late in the season, elephants are known to saunter through the lobby.
- A transfer through the park will get you started at the rustic and remote Chamilandu Bush Camp, which consists of just three stilted chalets set on a riverbank. Walks and day and night game drives explore the seven oxbow lagoons nearby
- From here, walk to Chindeni Bush Camp, which overlooks a permanent lagoon. Be on the lookout for large concentrations of wildlife, or simply sit back and enjoy the views from the deck
- Continue walking or drive to Bilimungwe Bushcamp. With the open waters of the Luangwa River on your doorstep and a nearby plain where leopard prowl, this is a nature-lovers paradise. Have a sunrise breakfast in a secret spot or dinner under the stars in the boma
- Return to Mfuwe Airstrip for your direct flight to the Lower Zambezi National Park and enjoy a short game drive en route to either the luxurious Anabezi or more rustic Amanzi Camp both of which have abundant game including hippo, buffalo, crocodile, fish eagles, and herds of elephants. Embark on twice daily off-road and night game drives, walking safaris, boating, canoeing, and catch and release fishing while soaking in the sights and sounds of one of the most beautiful parts of southern Africa
$10,700-$13,100 per person sharing in 2023
- Spend a couple of nights in Cape Town to help ease your transition back to reality. The city provides an exciting mix of activities to appeal to the broadest of tastes. Or, fly to Victoria Falls from the Lower Zambezi to continue your journey through Zambia.
Explore other itineraries
Cape Town, Winelands & Safari in the Eastern Cape
Cape Town, Winelands & Safari in the Eastern Cape, Visit Cape Town, the winelands and enjoy...
Classic Botswana with Victoria Falls
Incredible wildlife and plenty of adventure
Primates and Lakes: Gorillas, Monkeys, and Adventure in Rwanda
Unforgettable primate encounters, culture and luxurious lodging
Perfect Morocco: Souks, Sahara & Sea
Explore Medinas, Markets, Dunes, an Oasis, and the beautiful seaside of Essaouria
Wine, Whales, and Safari
Whale-watching, Wine tasting and the Big 5