White Desert: Pioneering Luxury in Antarctica
For those with a robust budget and a true sense of adventure (without compromising the finer side of life), we highly recommend a visit to the 7th Continent with White Desert – true pioneers of luxury in Antarctica. Unlike most trips to Antarctica that depart from South America, this journey has you flying on a Gulfstream private jet from Cape Town, South Africa and arriving on Wolf’s Fang runway, specially crafted for safely landing on ice. Just imagine…after spotting the Big Five on safari in South Africa, you can easily go from wine tasting in Cape Town to glamping on the pristine ice of Antarctica, just a mere 5 hours later – a truly epic journey!
After touching down in Antarctica, you will be flown 30 minutes by a DC3 Basler to Whichaway Camp, your home-away-from-home comprising six state-of-the-art sleeping pods. Having won the World Travel Awards five times, the camp is also designed with a minimal environmental footprint in mind. Although you’ll feel like you’re truly at the bottom of the world, you’ll still be regaled with hearty breakfasts, elegant lunches and three-course dinners all paired with a carefully curated wine list of award-winning labels from the leading Cape vineyards – and your uniquely crafted cocktail will be served over the purest 1,000-year-old blocks of ice!
Something else we love – White Desert recognizes that Antarctica is a pristine wilderness and makes stringent efforts to ensure that their footprint is absolutely minimal. With an ENDS environmental award and carbon neutral since 2007, they are continually working to improve the ways in which they and their guests interact with this incredible environment.
This carbon-neutral experience is as luxurious as it is adventurous. With only 12 guests on each trip with White Desert and professional polar explorers as your guides, the day’s itineraries are tailored to each individual. From gentle treks and picnics overlooking the ice waves, to more adrenalin-fueled activities, such as kite-skiing and ice climbing.
Check out these videos of the exhilarating adventure activities on offer:
The highlight on a multi-night itinerary is flying 2 hours along the coast to an emperor penguin colony of over 3,000 breeding pairs and their newly hatched chicks. These rarely visited penguins are unafraid of humans and often waddle right up to you – it’s an honor to witness such a rare and secluded wildlife spectacle.
On the 8-day itinerary, you’ll journey all the way to the South Pole – the lowest point on earth and the holy grail of early explorers. You’ll earn a photo at the designated marker at the bottom of the world and the rarest of stamps in your passport at the American ‘Amundsen-Scott’ Science base.
If time is of the essence or if you’re just not keen on sleeping in polar conditions, then White Desert offers a specialized, express visit to the continent in one day. We, however, think it’s worth the time and money to spend 5 nights and visit an emperor penguin colony or up to 8 nights and voyage all the way to the South Pole.
- The Greatest Day – 1 day: This is your chance to experience the real interior of Antarctica in a single day. After hiking to the top of a rugged peak with views to every horizon, you will celebrate by sipping a cocktail with 1000-year-old glacial ice and a freshly prepared picnic before taking the 5-hour flight back to Cape Town. / $13,500 per person
- Early Emperors – 5 days: A wildlife photographer’s dream. This trip offers unique access to a magnificent penguin colony when the chicks are taking their first steps off their parent’s feet. / $58,000 per person
- Emperors & South Pole – 8 days: This luxury adventure takes you into the heart of Antarctica to see the Emperor Penguins. Then it’s on to the southernmost point on earth – the South Pole! / $92,500 per person
- Owners’ Club: This is an extremely rare opportunity to land your personal aircraft on the first and only runway specifically designed for private jets in Antarctica. / Priced upon request
- NOTE: All pricing is subject to change each year. Please call us to confirm the most recent pricing.