Save on Namibia in Green Season, We have talked before about the great deals that can be found in East and Southern Africa during off-peak periods (for example Kenya in October where you can catch the end of the migration and the beginning of low season rates) and the same applies to Namibia. Namibia landscape is spectacular year-round but between January and March (as well as June) travelers can witness the desert flower, have it to themselves and find some incredible deals. These deals are so great in part because the “rainy season” which scares some people away, really means warm temperature and only an hour or so of rain each day. Now (in part courtesy of our friends at the Kusini Collection) here are a few great reasons to visit Namibia during the Green Season or rainy season.
Why Visit Namibia in the Green Season:
- The Temperature: The Northern Hemisphere’s winter is Southern Africa’s summer. Temperatures between January and March average a low of 62ºF and a high of 82ºF with relative humidity of 30%, nearly perfect by anyone’s standards!
- The Rain: When and if it rains, it is usually a short spectacular afternoon thundershower and they generally only last an hour or so. In addition, on average it is hotter and there is actually more rain between January and March in South Africa’s Kruger National Park than in Etosha National Park in Namibia and this period is a peak season in South Africa so you’ll pay a premium to be there.
- Desert Flowering: The rain causes Namibia’s deserts to flower bringing dramatic and beautiful changes to the landscape. It also makes for spectacular birding with migratory species flocking to the area to enjoy this temporary abundance.
- Calving: The Green Season is the main calving season for most antelope species which means larger than average herds, lots of babies and increased predator activity
- No Crowds: Avoid the crowds of the high season (a relative term in Namibia but August can be very crowded), have the breathtaking wilderness to yourself.
- Great Rates on Accommodation: Have your pick of the best camps and lodges at great rates. These great rates are often up to 30% off peak season rates at dozens of lodges across Namibia including Sossus Dune Lodge, Wolwedans, Dunes Lodge, Camp Kipwe, Mushara Outpost and AfriCat Foundation’s Okonjima camps. You are guaranteed to find a property that matches your style, interest and budget.
- Great Rates on Guides: The guiding in Namibia is excellent and because of the low season private guides will be available at lower rates. We think a private guide or a driver is not a bad choice because although most of Namibia’s roads are in good condition driving in the rain can be a hair-raising experience and is best left to the experts.
If we’ve convinced you that traveling to Nambia between January and March is a great option and you would like to know more about how to Save on Namibia in Green Season email us at email@example.com for more information